Talk:Getting started with personal science
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Questioning / Why section needs types and communities[edit | edit source]
When giving reasons why people self track the information is almost identical to types of self tracking and "what type of communities" of self trackers exist.
https://wiki.openhumans.org/wiki/Self_Tracking,_Disambiguation first section of combined with https://wiki.openhumans.org/wiki/Reasons_for_and_against_self_tracking_and_quantification reasons for
when I write that section will it be added here or be linked out from here as an in-depth article on this section or will we have two different starting points for the wiki.
Not mentioning the other communities feels dishonest. - DG
- Oh, I had somehow not seen those two pages before, but those seem very relevant and cross-linking them as more in-depth explorations of reasons for/against self-tracking and the different existing communities sounds really good! - Gedankenstuecke (talk) 17:14, 26 May 2022 (UTC)
- Thanks DG, I've taken a stab at adding those links in the Questioning section of the page as I hadn't checked the dicussion page before doing so! - Gedankenstuecke (talk) 15:59, 29 June 2022 (UTC)
Bunch of small concerns[edit | edit source]
(bullet points added by DG)
- "one" tense. is this good writing?
- Variability! see my post in the forums (variability in variable you want to change is defined by the fact that it changes sufficiently for you, but what if the intervention only comes after deciding on variable) and that is only the target variables like HRV
- more examples would be really nice because some of the advice here feels too vague and obvious.
- I agree, having some examples linked would be really useful. I kept it somewhat simple for now, in order to keep the page length down a bit. Maybe it would be worth to just link out to the different project pages? - Gedankenstuecke (talk) 11:02, 27 May 2022 (UTC)
- there are many pages already on the wiki. If this is the first page people see then this page should probably link out to many of those pages as either examples or more in depth look at a subject.
- Yes, in particular the high level topic pages (e.g. statistics, visualization, etc) should be linked out to, I got started with that, but there might be plenty of other pages that are relevant links! - Gedankenstuecke (talk) 11:02, 27 May 2022 (UTC)
- positive/neutral/negative I like unsure P N Definite P N and Extreme P N .. i will do that in the self assessment page
- "check whether one can export and access all observations." you can do that on the wiki
- Good idea to highlight this! - Gedankenstuecke (talk) 11:02, 27 May 2022 (UTC)
- Are you sure this is not too similar to the book?
- I see this as a kind of cliff notes version of getting started, while the book goes into a lot more details than might be feasible on a single getting started page here. But the wiki has the benefit of linking out to other things as you pointed at - Gedankenstuecke (talk) 11:02, 27 May 2022 (UTC)
- "Discovering" seems wrong; how about "reacting"?
- Yeah, I feel Discovering isn't a great word for this step in the cycle. But I was reluctant to change the wording, as it's used in the QS websites, the papers that Gary has written on the framework and it's in the book as well. Does anyone else have an opinion on this? - Gedankenstuecke (talk) 11:02, 27 May 2022 (UTC)
"Steps of self tracking project" alternate to this page[edit | edit source]
https://wiki.openhumans.org/wiki/Steps_of_self_tracking_project Should it partly merged into this page then deleted?
- Yes, I think that sounds good! - Gedankenstuecke (talk) 07:30, 6 July 2022 (UTC)