PersonalScienceWiki talk:Open Issues
This is a place to put your ideas and read about ideas for improving this wiki. You can discuss by adding your comments to existing topics or start a new one by creating a new top level heading. You can also check the PersonalScienceWiki:Open Issues page to see which topics are already on our to-do list.
- Link to it then curtly describe and summarize it. Maybe we need a "communities" page?
Design for diversity: Diversity in open source and wiki communities is often an issue. How much should we have an eye on diversity at this stage? How can we implement this? - Katoss (talk) 16:45, 17 November 2021 (UTC) (Source)
Bot use?[edit source]
Wikipedia uses lots of bots to sign comments, revert vandalism, or even to write articles. Should be consider using bots? Which bots could be useful for us? - Katoss (talk) 16:45, 17 November 2021 (UTC) (Source)
Cornerstones of Wikipedia vs Personal Science Wiki[edit source]
- Wikipedia vs Personal Science Wiki : notability https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iconography_of_correlations lots of writings on how to and advice deleted - User:DG
How to best document tacit/procedural knowledge?[edit source]
- What I'm finding hard (but very interesting at the same time) is for example to "extract" enough concrete details about Seth Roberts great diversity and number of self-experimentation just by reading one paper: Roberts, S. (2004). Self-experimentation as a source of new ideas: Ten examples about sleep, mood, health, and weight. Behavioral and brain sciences, 27(2), 227-262. But on the one hand I wonder if this type of sources (or blogs, videos, etc) are precisely in need of closer look and more hands to summarise the basics and reflect them properly as useful knowledge (just starting points) for further exploration by anyone interested in the same questions or methods, etc. Maybe some sort of reading club session (of this concrete source or similar) could be also useful to collaboratively extract and reflect afterwards the essential learning, tools, hacks, etc. directly on the wiki? Esenabre (talk) 16:55, 2 December 2021 (UTC)
Should we have a category like "processes"/"how to's"?[edit source]
A request that often appears is to explain "how to" do things, like calibrating blood glucose trackers, or exporting data from fitbit. This could be part of "topics" or "projects" at the moment, but might become a dedicated (sub)category at some point. Publishing negative results should also be encouraged ("how not to"/"things that didn't work") - Katoss (talk) 11:19, 18 November 2021 (UTC) (Source)
Visual Editor not everywhere[edit source]
The visual editor seems to only be enabled for some name spaces. E.g. it's absent on the talk pages and in name spaces such as this one (
PersonalScienceWiki). I think if possible we should enable this for these spaces too or is there a reason to not do so? - Gedankenstuecke (talk) 14:19, 4 March 2022 (UTC)
- I just checked the VisualEditor manual and seems to be the instruction on how to set it up for additional namespaces. I think having it for the Help, Talk & PersonalScienceWiki would be great! - Gedankenstuecke (talk) 15:36, 7 March 2022 (UTC)
We got rid of circular, semantic linking as it was hard to understand the dependencies of how information shows up. I feel for topics it could still be relevant and useful to have 'topics related to this topic'. Where I noticed this was when making the Statistical testing page, where I'd have loved to have the t-test page linked back. Do we think this might be useful and doable? - Gedankenstuecke (talk) 10:20, 9 March 2022 (UTC)
- Disambiguation page with theses two and finding too and linking from these pages back up to the disambiguation.
Organization of this talk page[edit source]
"Talk" pages have an "Add topic" tab for adding new topics for discussion and I'm using it to add this topic!). This page has content that was formerly in a non-talk page... I think it should probably be re-organized to be consistent with standard "Talk page" headings. (I'm likely to do this myself after posting this new topic.) - Madprime (talk) 18:33, 9 March 2022 (UTC)
Network visualizations[edit source]
- This could be interesting to identify clusters that could become new sub-topics. I think, right now, we might not have enough pages to create a lot of insight (maybe I'm wrong). But if someone wants to go ahead and try this, please go ahead (for context, linking here the notes of the self research chat on Feb 24, 2022 in which we talked about this) - Katoss (talk) 14:07, 21 March 2022 (UTC)
Improve getting started[edit source]
DG suggested adding the Most Linked Pages to the "Getting started" front page section as those are pages that might be highly relevant for newcomers. I think that might be a good idea, how do others feel about it? - Gedankenstuecke (talk) 10:06, 17 July 2022 (UTC)
night vision like gwern.net[edit source]
Gwern's site has nifty "night mode" that makes text white on black. Can Wikimedia wiki do that?